Old March 15th 08, 10:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Harry[_2_]

Default Any PIREPS: Fredericksburg, Texas area?

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
We're planning to fly there Sunday, for a week of R&R.

Not sure if the weather will cooperate (it's always a crap shoot in
spring), but we're planning on spending a couple of days at the Hangar
Hotel (the only other aviation themed hotel I've found). I've heard "the
hill area" of Texas is quite beautiful, and that there is much to do
there.

Any recommendations?

(Last time we launched for Texas, we ended up in Kitty Hawk, NC. Gotta
love the flexibility of GA... :-)

Thanks!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Jay, welcome to my part of the world :-).

We have flown into T82 many times usually to eat at the Airport Diner. The
diner has some strange hours so you'll be doing most of your eating off the
airport. We spent the night in the airport hotel for Valentine's Day. It is
a wonderful hotel and you are literally on the airport. In fact, you will
taxi your airplane right up to the hotel. The rooms are very clean. They
have a balcony off the second floor where you can leisurely sit and watch
acft land/take off. I presume you have checked out their web site.

There is a German restaurant towards the outskirts of town that has some
really great food and fantastic steaks. I don't recall the name of it but
when you drive into town from the airport, you will drive in on Hwy 16 (S.
Adams St). When you get to Main St, the main (no pun intended) drag through
town, turn left and go about 7 long blocks. It is located on the left where
Hwy 87 splits off from Hyw 290.

There are a lot of small places to eat in town that are mainly opened for
lunch. As someone else mentioned, it is primarily a tourist town with many
small shops. There is one shop that sells sauces, jams, cobbler, jellies,
chip and dip mixes, etc. What is really nice is that you can sample
everything they sell. Be careful, some of that hot sauce will really give
you a whole new meaning on life - HAHAHA.

You will definitely need a rental car. I understand the hotel staff can help
you arrange for one.

Someone else suggested flying up to Llano. As a frequent traveler to there,
I wholeheartedly concur. Cooper's is the best BBQ you will put your teeth
into in this part of the country (there are a lot of close seconds, but
Cooper's is the best).

Oh, one other thing that might be of interest, Just a few minutes (flying
time) from there is Kerrville (KERV). Mooney Acft has their plant there. We
went up about a year or so ago and had a tour of the place. You might want
to contact them and see if you can arrange a tour if you have the time. It
was very fascinating.

Hope some of that helps.

Harry
San Antonio