Old March 22nd 07, 07:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Marco Leon

Default Vehicular Ramp Access

Sorry to hear about your customers John. The thing is, if the airport
proposed these measures within a relatively short period of time after 9-11,
there would be minimal opposition. Now that it's six years later, the
motives behind these meaures are now suspect.

We had the entire airport re-fenced as well and cables/locks were installed
for each aircraft all at the airport's expense. Virtually all of us
appreciated that and that's why I think there will be little opposition if
they make us foot the bill for an access control system for vehicles.

We also don't have any active military installations on the field so they
can't point to that as a reason. Bush flew into the airport a couple of
years ago (that event actually prompted the cable locks) but that's not
anticipated to be a regular occurrence.

We'll see what happens.

Marco

"John" wrote in message
ups.com...
There is a photo I.D. system (SIDA) in place and it must be worn on
the outermost garment while on the airfield. (I got caught the first
day it was active ten feet from the hangar!) The airfield perimeter
is completely fenced and gated. Also you cannot drive on the airfield
itself without an endorsement through a class and test which is
reflected on your badge. The only way to get to an aircraft for
preventative maintenance is to be escorted to the aircraft by an
operator with vehicle priveleges.

Post 9-11 the airport was closed for at least a week as I remember,
while security measures were reviewed. There wasn't much of a fight.
This is a MassPort facility so they pretty much can do whatever they
want though there is always some public input before they do. MassPort
remains pretty embarassed at the fact that the two WTC aircraft came
out of Logan (B0S). It took a while to develop the program but it is
now in force. Hanscom is collocated with Hanscom Air Force Base and
the Electronic Systems Command; security there is even tighter though
the guards at the gate are mostly civilian now. I don't know of any
handicap issues per se. I lost fully half my annual customers in 2002
as owners left for other airports with easier access.

John Dupre'