Old April 10th 06, 08:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval

Default F-105 and A-4 loss rates over North Vietnam

"Ed Rasimus" wrote in message

Seems necessary to note here that Thompson reports a max of 108 F-105s
in theater during 1968 and 70 in 1969, so Tex might have been double
counting. During the summer of '66 when I was there, we had three
squadrons at Tahkli (3x18=54) and we started the summer with two
squardrons at Korat and then expanded to four (36 aircraft and then
72). During the six months I was there, we lost 101 F-105s between the
two wings. Replacements came in from Bitburg and Spangdahlem in
Germany which re-equipped with F-4s as well as from Seymour Johnson
and McConnell in the states.

I chose February 1969 for a reason. Korat was down to two F-105 Squadrons
(34th and 44th) as the F-4C conversion had begun. While the runway was
being repaired at Korat the F-105 squadrons were TDY to Takhli giving us
five squadrons at Takhli. While 18 was the squadron UE, we sometimes had
more, frequently had less. This was the basis for my comment. Probably the
most ever assembled on one airpach except AMARC.

Regards,

Tex