Old August 13th 03, 01:02 PM
Bill Silvey

"Keith Willshaw" wrote in message

"Bill Silvey" wrote in message
om...
"Charles Talleyrand" wrote in message

Missiles often cost more than the target.

This is a poor warfighting methodology that will only lead to tears.
Yes, yes. A single Hellfire costs more than a half-company of
chinese T-55 knockoffs. So you do what then - don't shoot it? Wait
for a different asset to attack with a more economical munition and
hope you - or people on the ground - don't die waiting?

Indeed comparing cash values like that is nonsense.
The real issue is that a maverick is a hell of a lot cheaper than
the airplane and pilot you need to hazard to put him in
gun range.

Keith

Further example: I don't think the pentagon was counting pennies when they
first used LGBs in Vietnam to drop a bridge that had withstood conventional
bombardment for the better part of a decade...

--
http://www.delversdungeon.dragonsfoot.org
Remove the X's in my email address to respond.