View Single Post
Old May 5th 15, 01:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
PBA
external usenet poster

Default Cockpit Size and Comfort

Ahhh, there is nothing more fun than shopping for a new-used glider.

There's a nice Grob 102 on Wings and Wheels. That's got to be the #1 value in used glass gliders. Typically around $15,000, you get 34:1 real world L/D and all the performance needed to do lots of XC training.

I flew one for a year and loved it. Heavy on the controls but climbs and penetrates well. I would only lose a little flying with a Ventus and and LS8 if we were at 65 kts or less....
I'm 6'4" 165 lbs. It's very comfortable. Did my silver duration in it and wasn't even hurting in my back by the end. You would have ample room and you will be able to pull your knees up and stretch a bit in the cockpit if needed. Good to keep the blood flowing.
As others have said though, 5'9" 200 lbs is pretty standard, you are going to fit in most everything comfortably. As I'm sure you've been told, ease of assembly and the trailer rigging is major because if it sucks to put together, you will start coming up with reasons not to do it and fly the club ships.
With that said, the Grob is not my favorite to put together. The wings are tricky to get on for the first 10 assemblies but then you learn the tricks and do it much faster. Airbrakes are excellent and noisy so you'll never mistake them for being closed. Built like a tank and sort of feels like it flying, but thermals very well.