Old September 1st 08, 10:29 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
HEMI-Powered[_2_]

Default Ren Yenc

JRW added these comments in the current discussion du jour ...

michael hoare wrote:
I dont care if its been said a thousand times i fail to
see the point of encrypting entries so that they cant be
viewed without downloading some other crap to view them
....whats the purpose of it ..what purpose does it serve
besides ****ing off those who cant view the pics i really
dont see the point of it all Mick H

Mike,

Their loss that you don't view them. I have the means to see
all of them. But I fully agree with you that they should
consider others when posting. Lots of folks are still on
dial-up....money the economy or whatever. These are the folks
I feel for. Some folks are not internet savvy and that's okay,
but you and others have made it to the newsgroups and I think
that's great. There is absolutely NO need for folks to invest
in software or newsgroup providers if their ISP carries
newsgroups. I do however have XNEWS and that's great for
viewing and it's free. I think the biggest gripe is that the
power posters don't even include an index. If they did then
you could choose the photos that you wanted to download.
Indexes are easy to make......it just boils down to lazyness.
It's sad that the time and effort that folks take to post the
stuff and more than half will not view them. Sad!
Now I'm sure that someone will come along and say tough. But
that just shows how selfish the person is. I know one that
will bite on this post in a milliesecond...lol

JRW, I suppose killfiling or filtering is an effective way to rid
oneself from yEnc and/or flooding, but whether the posts/day from
any given OP is a couple, a dozen or so, a few hundred, or
thousands, nobody is forced to look at them. Yes, it takes some
time to download the headers for things some presumeably don't
want but I think the number of dial-up users today vs. cable
broadband or DSL is small enough that large numbers of headers
shouldn't be a problem. And, in NGs that are very
active/prolific, especially those posting large attachments, yEnc
actually helps everyone but particularly the dial-up folk because
of it's very large reduction in as-posted size.

Personally, I post in Uuencode but I am not at all averse to
yEnc, largely because Xnews decodes both with ease and I'm not
even really aware of the encoding scheme except that it does say
"yEnc".

--
HP, aka Jerry

Don't be a fop or a blooter, make only pithy comments on Usenet