Old November 29th 05, 05:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Can someone explain this?

AJ wrote:
I found this on the FAA "Pilot Medical Certification-Frequently Asked
Questions" page and I need to know what this disqualifying condition
means: "Coronary heart disease that has been treated or, if untreated,
that has been symptomatic or clinically significant."

The above refers to partial or total occlusion of parts of one or more
coronary arteries by "hardening" (popular term), calcified fatty
deposits, or whatever you want to call it. This leads to angina or
"heart attacks" and then to procedures to reopen the vessels. If
untreated symptoms continue or worsen.

I recently underwent radiofrequency ablation, a nonsurgical procedure
used to treat some types of rapid heart beating. Would this disqualify
me from getting certified?

There are a number of conditions leading to rapid heart beat for which
the procedure you had is done. Most of them have nothing to do with
coronary artery disease. I don't know if they are disqualifying, though
I suspect they are until medical evidence is accumulated that they no
longer are a problem.