Old August 6th 15, 09:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default The 11 best things at the 2015 15m/Std Class Nationals at Harris Hill

The evident organization behind this well-run contest started with informative pre-contest emails from XC and extended throughout. Yeah, we got lucky on the weather. But everything else about the contest was spot on, including all the little details (tie downs, camping accommodations, dinners, etc.) that can add or detract. And a scorer (Doug Martin) who never seemed impatient or set upon despite our many requests...and who uploaded scores each day to the SSA site faster than we could have visited a paper copy tacked up in the Flight Center.

Just to reiterate, Monty Sullivan did a great job as CD, responsive to input but solidly in control the whole way without the noise and posturing of a control freak: a lesson in how to manage the egos in this very individualistic sport.

And, yes, a FINISH LINE!!! (sigh). Just like the old days. I felt like I was 40 again. Fun for pilots, staff, and spectators. I recall the PA system announcing tasks and finishers when I first visited Harris Hill in 1968 as a teenager, and it's still a nice feature.

Thanks to all.

Chip Bearden
ASW 24 "JB"
U.S.A.