Old January 29th 13, 06:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy

Default Gathering ideas for an iPhone/iPad app

On Friday, January 25, 2013 8:57:04 PM UTC-8, Eric Greenwell wrote:
On 1/25/2013 5:54 PM, John Cochrane wrote:

On Jan 25, 3:26 pm, wrote:

Are there useful things an app on your iPhone could do to enhance

your soaring day? Not task flying and flight logging, there are

enough of those. I was thinking about the many lookups, tasks,

notes, lists and "stuff" we gather by computer in the life of a

soaring pilot. Would it be useful to be able to access them all

from one interface app?

Has someone already created such an app?

If you know where I am going with this, feel free to post back any

ideas for something on your Apple iPhone or iPad or iPod to make

your day easier or more fun.

I am thinking of $1.99 app kind of stuff. Cheap, as most pilots are

cheap, but effective.

Weather. Go fetch visible satellite loop, radar loop, dr, jack, ruc

sounding, metars, and update them automatically when the sources

update. Use the GPS to know where you are and get the appropriate

ones. With one click, the latest is always right there. Go get them

as internet connection is available so they are ready in flight even

when internet connection is sporadic.

I'd get an iPhone if it had that app.

email me)

How about a good working backup vario? Granted it wouldn't be as accurate as baro one, and not compensated, but may still do it's job in case all goes to hell and you find yoursledf without a working vario in your cockpit. I checked the few that are available in the app store but didnt find anything that works well.