Old March 1st 17, 09:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WB

Default 304 versus Discus B

On Tuesday, February 28, 2017 at 5:08:34 PM UTC-6, Del Jensen wrote:
Two gliders have caught my eye; 304 with minden trailer and Discus B with Komet. Both about the same hours, roughly same age, 30k vs. 36k.

I'm getting back into soaring after a twenty year break. I've got about 120hrs, a fair number of those hours in a Glasflugel 401. I'm big, but dropping weight (6' 240lbs, 64yrs). Glider would be based south of Phoenix, so I'm hoping to keep the ship assembled under all weather covers, covers to be replaced every couple of years. I take it the Discus is hot and sexy (for its age), but the 304 pulls at my heart strings.

Any advice/observations on the gliders and suitability for a low time fat boy would be gratefully received. Also comments on keeping the machine under all weather covers year round. Also, would type of trailer tip the balance in your opinion?

P.S. If I can find hanger space, I'll buy it.

That a real 304 or the HpH 304C?

Assuming it's a real 304 with flaps as God and Hanle intended, then there's no decision to be made. Get the 304. Flaps!