Old November 10th 19, 10:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom Kelley #711

Default OLC Scoring question

On Sunday, November 10, 2019 at 3:05:46 PM UTC-7, Nick Kennedy wrote:
For those that know the finer points..
Question.
I understand to get maximum extra triangle points at the end of your flight you want to cross your release point, or Close Your Triangle.
On my Oudie I have my OLC scored flight displayed with a yellow line, so I can see it in all the other clutter and information displayed.
This summer while flying out of Salida I released and then flew to the clouds about 12 miles south to get to base, then I turned north for my first leg. My Yellow OLC scoring track line started where I turned north.
When I finished my day I flew through the start of this line. Is this where I should have "Closed My Triangle" Or should I have Closed My Triangle where I released from Tow? Where I released from tow that day would have been hard to pinpoint exactly.
So what is it? Start of scored flight or tow release point?
And how close to I need to be to the correct point vertically and horizontally?
Thanks in advance.

4.3.2 FAI OLC Course (based on the FAI)

If possible, three turn points are chosen on the recorded, closed flight path such that they define an FAI triangle with the greatest possible circumference, whereby

- the shortest leg must be at least 28% of the FAI distance
- if the FAI distance is 500 km or more, the shortest leg must be at least 25% and the longest leg at most 45% of the FAI distance.

The departure point can be between two turn points of the triangle. The flight path is considered to be closed if the finish point is within 1 km of the start point, and the departure altitude is not more that 1000 m above the finish altitude. (Tip: If an FAI triangle is planned, a departure point should be defined before the flight, which can then be approached on the return flight.)

Link to the rules...https://www.onlinecontest.org/olc-3....overview/b2_en

Best. Tom #711.