View Single Post
Old November 11th 19, 01:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default OLC Scoring question

Nick, Your oudie will be able to record bread crumb track marks. Using these the point where you get off tow and make first turn in lift is very clearly defined. When you get back from the triangle just fly to the bread crumbs marking your first thermal. As the rules say, within 1 km up and sideways and you are done.
Not closing the triangle sucks. Do not ask how I know this.
H

On Sunday, November 10, 2019 at 5:05:46 PM UTC-5, Nick Kennedy wrote:
For those that know the finer points..
Question.
I understand to get maximum extra triangle points at the end of your flight you want to cross your release point, or Close Your Triangle.
On my Oudie I have my OLC scored flight displayed with a yellow line, so I can see it in all the other clutter and information displayed.
This summer while flying out of Salida I released and then flew to the clouds about 12 miles south to get to base, then I turned north for my first leg. My Yellow OLC scoring track line started where I turned north.
When I finished my day I flew through the start of this line. Is this where I should have "Closed My Triangle" Or should I have Closed My Triangle where I released from Tow? Where I released from tow that day would have been hard to pinpoint exactly.
So what is it? Start of scored flight or tow release point?
And how close to I need to be to the correct point vertically and horizontally?
Thanks in advance.