Old November 12th 19, 12:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Gibbons[_2_]

Default OLC Scoring question

If you are using the Oudie, one easy way to help in closing the
triangle is to use the "GOTO" button on the lower horizontal menu bar
(its the D with an arrow through it, in middle of the lower bar).

One of the options for a ""goto" is on the upper right of the GOTO
page menu; "Soaring begin". Select this and you will be redirected to
the point where SeeYou believes you got off tow.

Your normal Nav Boxes will then guide you to the point where SeeYou
believes you released from tow.

Note, this will not work if you later use a motor, since the Oudie
does not have an engine noise sensor that woud allow it to shift the
"soaring begin" location.

Bob

On Sun, 10 Nov 2019 17:38:56 -0800 (PST), wrote:

Nick, Your oudie will be able to record bread crumb track marks. Using these the
point where you get off tow and make first turn in lift is very clearly defined.
When you get back from the triangle just fly to the bread crumbs marking your
first thermal. As the rules say, within 1 km up and sideways and you are done.
Not closing the triangle sucks. Do not ask how I know this.

On Sunday, November 10, 2019 at 5:05:46 PM UTC-5, Nick Kennedy wrote:
For those that know the finer points..
Question.
I understand to get maximum extra triangle points at the end of your flight you

want to cross your release point, or Close Your Triangle.
On my Oudie I have my OLC scored flight displayed with a yellow line, so I can

see it in all the other clutter and information displayed.
This summer while flying out of Salida I released and then flew to the clouds

about 12 miles south to get to base, then I turned north for my first leg. My
Yellow OLC scoring track line started where I turned north.
When I finished my day I flew through the start of this line. Is this where

I should have "Closed My Triangle" Or should I have Closed My Triangle where
I released from Tow? Where I released from tow that day would have been
hard to pinpoint exactly.
So what is it? Start of scored flight or tow release point?
And how close to I need to be to the correct point vertically and horizontally?
Thanks in advance.