Old December 2nd 19, 07:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

Default Put your money where the risk is

On Monday, December 2, 2019 at 8:13:21 AM UTC-8, Tango Eight wrote:
On Monday, December 2, 2019 at 8:38:15 AM UTC-5, wrote:
Tell us more about this 'Airmanship' religion. I'm sure many of us here are interested in salvation. Does Airmanship have a worthy god? Hymnals? Tithing? Do we have to wear silly dresses or silly hats?

Tom explained himself adequately. He's a bit hard to parse because he insists on defining commonly used words and terms differently than the rest of the world (hence the Lewis Carroll reference I made earlier), but I think anyone can get the gist now.

It's clear to me now that what he means by "making my own luck" is in fact "not trusting to luck". What he means by CFIT is in fact "Controlled flight into a situation that any sensible pilot would avoid".

T8

I won't disagree with that, but "making your own luck" means manipulating circumstances to increase the odds of a good outcome. Things as simple as getting multiple weather reports and viewing NOTAMs in your region fall into this category. Also is is walking potential landing fields. In other words, making your own luck is evaluating potential risks and taking measures, including not flying, to mitigate those risks.

Now this discussion has degenerated into a ridiculous belittling of fundamental airmanship. Apparently, they don't even get the mandatory weather briefing before flying. I can only hope that none of those individuals are CFIGs.

Tom