Old September 18th 10, 07:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mark

Default How high can you fly?

On Sep 18, 1:37*pm, wrote:
Mark wrote:
Ok, it's the year 2016. You are in a little Cessna 150.
You're plane isn't pressurized because it will implode,
so you're wearing a pressurized body suit. You have
an oxygen mask. You plane is powered by a very
powerful brushless electric motor supplied by a 20lb
carbon nanotube source that is basically limitless.
Your powerplant is equivalent to 700hp in an LSA.
The electric motor and cabin are heated.

How high can you fly? 95,000ft?

Gibberish.

Eludication: my sentence ends in a question mark. The figure
was discriminate and taken from reference to U-2 heights.
Airfoils stop working in thin density. I asked when.

Little airplanes aren't presurized because the seals to keep things like
doors and windows from leaking are heavy. A soda can can hold 100 psi.

Little planes aren't pressurized because the ones I'm proposing
aren't currently able to reach anywhere near these elevations. Given
the heights I'm proposing, the airframe will buckle if the cabin is
pressurized. Fact.

And you bet the electric motor is heated, you will play hell keeping it
cool, even at altitude.

Brushless DC motors are different from conventional ones.
Brushless aka BLDC motors, or electronically commutated
motors are synchronous electric motors which have electronic
commutation systems rather than mechanical commutators
and brushes. The current-to-torque and voltage-to-speed
relationships are linear.

They are much more highly efficient, and eliminate ionizing
sparks from the commutator. They are not subjected to
centrifugal forces and can be cooled by conduction. This
allows them to be enclosed, which, protects them from dirt
and debris.

---
Mark

--