Old January 31st 11, 02:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JJ Sinclair[_2_]

Default ASW20 or LS6

On Jan 30, 5:06*pm, binks wrote:
I am looking to purchase my first glider. I have been looking at the
ASW20 and the LS6. Any suggestions on which glider would be the best
all around? I have heard that the LS6 has a narrow cockpit. I am 6'2"
200 lbs. and would be wearing a parachute. Also heard that the ASW20
can be a little unforgiving to the uninitiated in the spin department.
Both seem to have very similar performance data. *All that being said
it is appearing to me it may be Ford vs Chevy

I have owned and loved both, The 6A has a soft wing, like the 20, but
you will find the 20B wing to be stiff, but then it has a disc brake.
The 6 has a sweet spot at about 65 knots that feels like she will go
forever. The wing on the 6 is attached at zero incidence and that
makes the nose a bit high when flying slow (on tow or when
thermalling), not a problem, just feels different at first. If I were
making the decision, I'd go for the 6, if the finish was good.
JJ