Old January 19th 05, 03:59 PM
xyzzy

I trained in a 172 and now fly Warriors in a club. Both choices were
made because of cost and availability, not a preference for one wing
location or another. Both are great planes for different reasons. The
transition was trivial.

As others have said, there are differences but they are minor.

You are more likely to get two doors in a high-wing plane (IMO this is
the biggest argument in favor of high wing, I hate the one-door cabin of
the Warriors I fly now).

High-wing planes are easier to get into and out of, no clambering over
the wing and telling pax to stay on the reinforced part. Just mind your
head.

There is no "slip with flaps" or not controversy in a low-wing plane.

Low wing planes are slightly easier to land because of lower center of
gravity, more ground effect softening it (which may make short-field
landings harder though), and less of the x-wind getting under the wings.
However it's not enough of a difference.

Easier to check fuel level in a low-wing plane, but harder to drain the
sumps and inspect the underside of the wing (fuel vents, pitot tube, etc).

Low wing planes are less likely to have a "both" setting on the fuel
switch.

Better shade in a high wing plane.

Better sightseeing in a low-wing plane.

Bottom line: you should evaluate planes on their merits to you, and
wing location will probably not be much of a factor unless you're into
aerial photography or something like that.