Old September 27th 03, 04:55 AM
Steve B

Default Ipaq - GPS_Log Help needed (Long)

Bingo... a fine gentelman pointed me to the need to set the Garmin to NMEA Out only.

Now it works like a charm!

Thanks folks

(Steve B) wrote in message om...
Question 1

I connect 3955 to a PC via ActiveSync cradle using my 9pin cable. With
my Garmin 195. The Garmin has:

Pin 1 - Ground = Black
Pin 4 - NMEA out = Blue
Pin 5 - NMEA in = Brown

Then pin 5,2 and 3 on that connector. 5 is ground. I connect: black-5,
blue-3 and brown-2 on the female PDA cable pin 3 receives data (in),
pin 2 sends data (out).

I made certain that in the NMEA setup dialog the "Use RX_FLAG"
checkbox is cleared. I use the RMC code and do all my testing outdoors
on real GPS signal, as I understand the GPS may mark "emulator" data
invalid. I set data rate to 4800. I have tried to do serial port
testing indoors with enable raw data logging in logging options. When
enabled, all data coming in on serial port are logged to a
rawGPS_LOGdata##!!.txt file

But the file shows 0 bytes.

Once I get NMEA data into that file, I should expect program to work
with above settings on real GPS data.

The pins on the ipaq female connector looking at the connector plug I
assume are as follows:
_______
\ 54321/
\9876/

So I connected:

Pin 1 to 5 on female
Pin 4 to 2 on female
Pin 5 to 3 on female of Ipaq

I checked the Garmin and it is set Inpt / output to Data Transfer
and
Slave mode

The Ipaq is set to
setup / NMEA to RMC and (check length) is checked and port is Com 1

Question # 2

I also purchased a generic data cable for the Ipac
The generic cable has 4 wires as follows:

Pins 1 to 22

2 = Red = Power? I am not using this lead

7 = White = Tx or Rx ???

8 = Yellow = Rx or Tx ???

22 = Blue = Ground ???

I could not get it to work with this either... do you know where I
can find the pinouts for the Ipaq 3900 that would show pins 1 to 22?

Any help on how I can I trouble shoot the problem would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Steve

Ps? (just shoot me if I cant get this thing to work)