Old March 25th 05, 01:44 AM
Sparerep

On 24 Mar 2005 10:18:18 -0800, "John"
wrote:

I knew I was on thinning ice, but at least I know that being shot down
by Ed means I have been shot down by one of the better ones.

I just found this at http://www.skyhawk.org/2C/productionhistory.htm
regarding design changes to the A-4F.

"A unique recognition feature that first appeared on the A-4F was the
"bent" aerial fueling probe. The probe was so configured to preclude
electronic inteference with the wide-angle target acquisition
system."

Also found this at http://www.airtoaircombat.com/detail.asp?id=57 :

"The A-4M was fitted with a revised refuelling probe which canted out
to starboard to precent interference with a wider-angle target
acquisition system."

Now that Ed has thrown the thrid strike, it is time for me to head back
to the dug-out and resume lurking. (Smiling)

blue skies . . .

P.S. to Mr Rasimus - Is the new book actually out yet (fingers
crossed)?

Don't be too hasty, John.

It is true that the off-set probe was installed as part of
AFC 461, titled Avionics; AN/APS 117 Shrike Target
Identification Acquisition System and it's also true that it
was installed because the straight probe interfered with the
sensor operation.

However, it was also found to prevent fuel vapor
ingestion/explosion when the coupling leaked during
in-flight refueling. A second part to the AFC (Part 2) was
issued a couple of years later to authorize off-set probe
installation on all aircraft not covered under the original
AFC. The part 2 title was changed to Fuselage; Offset IFR
Probe Installation and TIAS, Provisions For. That's why
some TA-4s had the off set probe. The original AFC was for
"designated" A-4Es and Fs.

I remember reading through A-4 accident summaries a few
years ago and it seemed that the USN/USMC lost and average
of a plane a year to fuel vapor ingestion during IFR.

In May 83 NAVAIRSYSCOM message 260109Z, all A-4 aircraft not
equipped with the off-set probe (AFC-461) were restricted
from aerial refueling from KC-135 aircraft equipped with the
boom to drogue adapter with the exception of operational
necessity.

The restriction was in response the loss of a TA-4J due to
the leaking/ingestion problem and several more reports that
it occurred. I don't remember that restriction ever being
lifted.

Tom Debski