Old October 30th 09, 03:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
D Ramapriya

Default FAA throws pilots under the Airbus

On Oct 30, 4:43*pm, Clark wrote:
D Ramapriya wrote in news:0e1dac61-33d6-489b-a9c0-
:

On Oct 30, 12:00*am, Mike Ash wrote:
In article
,
*D Ramapriya wrote:

[snip]

But the point about LNAV (PROFILE in Airbuses) remains - why had the
A320's FMC not commenced descent from TOD unless these coves had left
open the option of manual initiation?

There is no point here. The aircraft cannot descend until instructed to or
approved by ATC. Setting the FMC to automatically descend would be contrary
to normal operations in the ATC system.

Yep, Bob's post said so. I wonder if ATCs around the world work
differently because on the one occasion I've been in the flight deck,
the letdown commenced automatically. I remember it well because I was
so awed.

Gotta love these "analyses" by folks with superficial knowledge. Maybe they
take their lead from newspaper and television reporters...
(that was an impolite way to say that speculation is pointless since the
foundation knowledge is lacking)

Point taken mate, however I've never claimed to have even superficial
knowledge, so pretence and/or dishonesty you can't accuse me of

Ramapriya