Old January 9th 05, 04:13 PM

Roger wrote:
: As I recall changing the engine to a 180 HP does not make the 140 a
: 180 as I believe the fuselage on the 140 is shorter.

That's partially true. The 140/180 in general doesn't get you the updated
cowling or the third window (so it's like an older -180). It also doesn't give you a
baggage compartment or real back seats. We got a field approval to put a baggage
floor behind the rear seats in ours, but haven't actually done the modification yet.
The rear seats are the horribly uncomfortable plywood slab jumpseats. A buddy of mine
has a '65 -150 (same as a 'C' model 180 but with an 0-320) with a baggage floor and
bench seat in the rear. The PA28 airframe didn't get any longer until about '73 when
the 180 was briefly called a "Challenger." IIRC. There are lots of -180s without the
stretched fuselage. Fortunately I never ride back there, so I don't care...

The other thing it doesn't do is give you legally much more weight increase.
Our -140 was 2150 gross. With the 180, it's 2200 T.O., 2150 landing. Oh, and for
speed comparisons, I plan for 115 kts TAS and pretty much get it in still air at
reasonable altitudes and loading. At 6000' DA, 65% power, I'll get 130-135 mph TAS
depending on weight and CG. Loading doesn't seem to affect climb rate much at
all until you get over a certain point where it kill it. From my 2100 MSL airport,
it'll do between 800-600 fpm no matter if it's just me or am full with three people
and full fuel on board. Much more than that, and it's a pucker.

-Cory

* Cory Papenfuss *