Old June 19th 04, 05:08 PM
Peter Duniho

"xerj" wrote in message
[...]
However, why does a yaw to the right cause a pitch up, and a yaw to the

left
cause a pitch down? [...]

Who says it does? Right yaw should cause a pitching down moment, left yaw
should cause pitching up, in the scenario you describe, just as you have
concluded. What reference is telling you that you're wrong?

I have never noticed precession during attitude changes, but I hear that
it's noticeable in taildraggers during takeoff when the airspeed is low and
the tail is brought up during the initial takeoff run. I'm not sure you'd
ever notice it in a nosewheel airplane, where significant attitude changes
are always made at higher airspeeds.

In any case, your analysis is correct, and a reference that says otherwise
is incorrect. The force, inasmuch as it's present at all (and it's not
generally very noticeable, for typical GA airplanes), works the way you
describe.

Pete