Old September 29th 03, 04:37 PM
John R. Copeland

I've never lived in Oakland, but I thought it was exceedingly rare for =
the
temperature there to dip below -15C.
---JRC---

"Fred E. Pate" wrote in message =
=20
This one's for the Canadians on this thread. A notice on the new=20
Oakland, California (KOAK) "RNAV (GPS) RWY 29" approach=20
=

(http://www.myairplane.com/databases/.../OAK_agr29.pdf):
=20
"BARO-VNAV NA below -15 deg C (5 deg F)"
=20
And this is for a decision altitude of only 294 ft AGL. Seems like =

the=20
FAA is moving towards taking into account temperature errors in=20
barometric alitmetry. And, by implication, this supports the premise=20
that WAAS altitude figures are more accurate than the trusty old=20
"sensitive altimeter." (In the legend they specifically state that=20
WAAS-based VNAV can be used when BARO-VNAV is not approved due to=20
temperature.)