Old July 27th 12, 07:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bumper[_4_]

Default PowerFlarm display

On Thursday, July 26, 2012 9:46:37 PM UTC-7, Tim Taylor wrote:
At 120 knots my cockpit was so loud with air noise and vario that I did not hear the the warning tones from the PowerFLARM but the change in display caught my eye to a target straight ahead and at my altitude. I turned iimmediately and in time to see the other glider pass at the same speed.

Not sure if the portable would have been enough of a difference to pick up the warning.

The portables audio out jack makes it straightforward to add a super bright LED alert light. The LED is driven by a transistor switch that get's its drive from the audio out jack, along with 12 volts from the power-in jack (which is internally wired in parallel to the RJ jack that I'm using to power the portable).

Works well in my Husky power plane as well as in the glider. Alternately it would be easy to boost the audio alert volume with a small amplified speaker (available at Radio Trash etc).
http://i674.photobucket.com/albums/v...alertlight.jpg

bumper