Old September 16th 05, 02:41 PM
Jancsika

Andrew Warbrick wrote:
I realise you are just trying to recruit disgruntled
pilots to the COTS cause. They will be disgruntled
because their NAC will have rejected their claim.

You are right more or less I do hate that we have to buy an
(otherwise fantastic) expensive tool for this purpose.

I'll say it again, clearer this time and using shorter
words. The EW will log with any GPS but it will only
make an IGC file valid for a badge claim with one of
the approved GPS's, your NAC will reject a claim made
with an EW and any non approved GPS. You could, in
theory, build a circuit to inject valid datum sentences
into the EW, but any OO who let you get away with it
shouldn't be an OO and it's more effort than just using
an approved GPS.

No, EW WILL create valid IGC file with any GPS provides (RMC, GGA)
NMEA sentences at 4800. EW could recognize if there is a change in datum
if you use a garmin, because garmin sends this information inside NMEA.
I can send samples if you need.
There is no need to create any special circuit.
And I think at least 99% of the OO will accept it.

/jancsika (finally a Colibri user)