Old September 20th 05, 07:14 AM
Jancsika

Eric Greenwell wrote:

Jancsika wrote:

Or any other cheap mouse type GPS. The final igc file will be fine
This badge&cheap GPS issue come up year by year. Few enthusiastic
pilot joined and created COTS proposal to IGC but nothing has
changed so far

Like it, or not, if one wants to get a badge with an EW, one must use
one of the Garmin GPS units listed in the approval document...

Marc

It's just funny to see the weakness of the system...

It's my understanding the IGC file will NOT be fine if a mouse type GPS
is used, because it will be missing the NMEA sentence with the datum
that is in use. With a Garmin GPS, the sentence is not sent only when
the datum is changed, but with every data point.

I also suspect the Garmin GPS sends a sentence identifying itself, which
is recorded in the file, but I don't know that for sure. Perhaps Marc or
other knowledgeable person can comment?

At startup some GPS sends (even a cheap mouse type could do it) this
data but to get a valid IGC file boot messages doesn't have to be in the
NMEA stream. I sent you one example (Vali-ewa.exe validated this).
Regards,

/Janos