Old November 2nd 07, 02:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Marco Leon

Default Help interpreting an approach chart (KCCR LDA Rwy 19R)

"Terence Wilson" wrote in message
http://www.airnav.com/depart?http://...5320LDA19R.PDF

Suppose I am approaching the KANAN NDB IAF from the south, maintaining
2500', which nav aid do I use to track 001 deg outbound? When I first
looked at the chart I assumed it would be the CCR VOR 001 radial, but
on closer examination it looks like I should be tracking from the
KANAN NDB.

I would use the localizer. That said, there a couple of things that are
confusing. CCR looks like it's depicted as a bit west of the localizer. I'm
assuming it is to scale since it is within the plan view's circle. However,
JOANS intersection is on the localizer but it is identified as being 8.1
miles on the DME from CCR. Usually when an intersection is identified using
an off route VOR, there's some sort of reference line that is thinner than
the route. Either the VOR *is* on the localizer or it's too close to the
localizer for a separate line depiction.

Marco