Old October 12th 06, 06:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
KM

Default Tow Signals

Burt Compton - Marfa wrote:
Us a pretakeoff checklist - just like you did once on your FAA
Checkride!

CBSIFTCBE works - or any checklist that includes "airbrakes (spoilers)
closed and locked."

Burt, If I may jump in here.I think what Ramy had in mind on this
thread was the misinterpretation of tow signals and not the use of
checklists.Are you sugesting that if a pilot uses a checklist he or she
will never have a tow emergency?The "airbrakes closed and locked" runs
contrary to some sailplane P.O.H.s that suggest starting the take off
roll in something other than the final take off configuration.I will
readily admit that it works great when towing trainers though.

Our procedure at Marfa, TX USA (developed from the towpilot's point of
view):

Obviously the tow pilot doesnt have to worry about aileron authority.

Ground crew refuses to hook up towrope until pilot closes and locks
airbrakes.

IF glider pilot wishes to use airbrakes open on takeoff for better
aileron control with water ballast, then ground crew confirms the
towpilot is aware of this.

Glider pilot radios towpilot "canopy and airbrakes closed and locked".

Towpilot (just before takeoff) repeats back to glider pilot "understand
your canopy and airbrakes are closed and locked."

If you do not follow our procedures - we don't launch.

This is a good idea but you fail to mention how the procedure differs
when a pilot uses spoilers (Or negative flap).One of the three local
tow operations used this procedure but then altered it by using the
phraseology of "Canopy locked, controls checked" meaning 1;a positive
control check has been acomplished by the line person who hooked you
up, and 2; The controls are in the proper configuration for initiating
the take off (incuding the trim). This way a pilot does not have to
anounce something over the radio that isnt right.I think it sets up a
much better habit pattern.

Sorry but as your towpilot we gotta do it my way.

No problem here, lets just not do it in a maner that conflicts with the
POH.Getting back to Ramy's post, I think it is an excellent idea to
look at the spoiler handle if there is any confusion what so ever with
the tow planes signals.

Burt CFIG / DPE
Marfa Gliders west Texas

K Urban