Old October 12th 06, 08:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
KM

Default Tow Signals

Now, this leads me to another point of this subject...how many
pilots are taking off with their brakes open because it "helps them
achieve faster aileron response" ? And then how many pilots are taking
off in flapped gliders with negative flaps?

Jacek, you have to make a distinction here between "taking off" and
starting the take off roll.To answer your question, I would say that
most pilots, when operating an older ship with a CG hook in a crosswind
will use spoilers or negative flap until they get some roll
authority.Another thing to consider is with ships like the ASW20 the
ailerons droop and rise with the flaps.This makes a HUGE difference on
the roll control at slow speeds.It is spelled out in the P.O.H. and
therefore it is considered normal operating procedure.

Isn't that a
recipe for disaster? How often ? I don't know exact number but I see it
very frequently. And the most amazing part of that is that the
instructors are teaching it this way.

Instructors are required to teach compliance with the POH, so I would
say this is perfectly normal.

When I asked about it, I never
got a straight answer but everybody is saying "it must be done that
way". O really?

Jacek
CFI-G
Washington State