Old April 27th 20, 12:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
George Haeh

Default COVID-19 Operational Considerations

The half-life of Covid19 in sunlight is 2 minutes or less according to an NBACC White House presentation:

https://3n30av2dln0g4fmlc03hpv0p-wpe...us-testing.png

Then there's the fact that outdoors, aerosols are instantly dispersed by the lightest breeze.

So outdoors at glider fields is pretty safe right now without PPE.

That doesn't make me comfortable sharing a 2-seater with another person without PPE, but good masks and isopropyl alcohol wipe down of contact surfaces along with disposable gloves could change my mind. The current problem is the scarcity of good masks, especially when health care workers don't have enough.

Until appropriate masks are available to the general public, rigging and derigging that require people in close proximity (most 2-seaters) will have to wait. Most single seaters offer 7m separation.

Prevalence of infection in the club catchment area is another consideration.. The likelihood of contacting an asymptomatic carrier increases in high density metropolitan areas with infections.