Old March 27th 04, 12:14 AM
Robert M. Gary

(John Galban) wrote in message . com...
lid wrote in message .. .
snip
I understand this is an academic exercise, but it could be that the
answer can be had by simply calling your local FSDO first. Believe me,
nothing you find on this or any other newsgroup is going to be
admissible in court if there is ever a problem.

Haaahaa! That's a good one! You don't really think that, "I called
Bob at the FSDO and he said it was OK" is going to fly in any FAA
court do you?

Since you've jumped out of the academic and into the real world, the
fact is that you could call 3 different people in a FSDO and get 3
different answers. Then you could call 5 other FSDOs and get more
different answers. None of that will help you in court.

It works very much like the acedemic world. When an advisor tells you
that you can subsitute one class for another, unless it is clearly
written as a substitute, GET IT IN WRITING. I can't tell you the
number of people I know that got a letter in the mail saying they
missed a class when they expected to receive their degree.
Its the same thing with the FSDO. If its worth anything, GET IT IN
WRITING. When I wanted to install a non-TSO'd attitude indicator as a
back up on the other side of my panel (labeled VFR only ) I got it
(337) in writing.