Old December 18th 04, 11:14 PM
Dude

However, our calculation did not include the cost of our investment. If
we
sold the plane for fair market value and put the proceeds in a safe
investment paying 6% interest, the (lost) income would work out to about
$28
per flight hour, which would put the total cost very much in line with
renting. On the other hand, the value of the plane is also appreciating,
so
this is really not apples-to-apples.

Bottom line: the 150 hour break-even rule of thumb is probably about
right.
If you (or a co-ownership group) have that much utilization or more, it
makes economic sense to own, particularly considering all of the other
benefits that come with ownership.
--
-Elliott Drucker

Please send instructions on finding that safe 6% please. That is post tax
correct? Otherwise it works out to 5% so recalcute. My airplane has cost me
less than my former work stock plan and my 401k has been pretty flat if you
don't count matching.

Anyway, I think the 150 is a sure thing, and the 100 might be doable if you
work at it (of course your work would have value).