Old January 24th 04, 01:53 AM
Jim Weir

Which is the theoretical length of an infinitely small diameter wire antenna.
For antennas made out of REAL materials (like brass welding rod) you wind up
with a Finagle Factor that approximates somewhere between 90 and 95% for rod
between 1/8" and 1/4". In general, I recommend somewhere around 22.5 inches for
the bottom end of the band (around 120 MHz.) or so, and an inch shorter for the
dead center of the band at 127.5 MHz.

Jim

-Therefore Lamda = 3 / 1.2 = 2.5 meters. Therefore
-1/4 wavelength would be 0.625 meters or around 24.4 inches.
-
-Keep in mind, though, I'm just a dumb airshow pilot -
-check with Jim about this. He builds these in his sleep
-from welding rod.

http://www.rst-engr.com