Old January 8th 06, 05:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default trailers: fiberglass vs. metal

Yuliy Gerchikov wrote:
What is the conventional wisdom on fiberglass top trailers? I've never had
any experience with one. Should I keep it this way and stay away from it by
all means? Or is it OK, really, and not much worse than Al top? How long do
they last and how much maintenance require? What are the pros and cons of
each? I'd think that metal is more durable and virtually maintenance free,
while glass may be a bit lighter. Anything else? Thanks! -- Y

My fiberglass trailer is only 29 years old so I can't comment on
durability. :-) It did get repainted about 5 years ago.
Some claim UV light can penetrate a fiberglass top and that the
accumulated irradiation of the glider will cause damage to the ship. I
used to fly at Boulder, CO where all of the trailers are parked oriented
nearly east-west exposing a long southern face to the Colorado sunshine.
Trailers occupy the same spot for years on end, and, not that I've
taken a poll, but I've never heard of any ships with damage to the top
of one wing and the bottom of the other, or one side of the fuse or fin
due to a fiberglass top.

Shawn