Old March 10th 04, 05:49 PM
Bill Gribble

I qualify as "low-time" by anybody's standards. Ab inito, just about to
make my 50th launch this weekend. I'd guess I'll probably go solo some
time in the next couple of months at my current rate of progress -
basically when I stop consistently scaring the guy in the back seat

At our airfield, the Duty Instructor of the day tends to express a
"preferred circuit" for people to follow dependent upon prevailing wind
conditions. We have two crossed runways, 03-210 and 90-270, so, subject
to the wind direction, that's potentially eight different patterns, even
without taking the end of day hanger-flights into account.

Yes, it feels odd to fly off runway 03 when for the last few weeks
prevailing winds have had us using 210. Even odder when a westerly puts
us onto 90. Through preference I think I'd take a right-hand circuit.
But it isn't really that much of an issue even at my level of
experience. I'll take a left-hand circuit if circumstance or position
suggests it better to do so. In much the same way I'll take a left-hand
bend or junction on a bike with little concern, or reverse right into a
parking bay at the supermarket in my car.

Point is I haven't been taught to make either thermalling turns or
circuit turns. I've been taught to fly the aircraft, at all times, to
never fly low and slow and to make my final turn onto approach
well-banked and at a safe height because, amongst other reasons, a
well-banked turn looses less height than a shallow turn and at this
final point in proceedings it's much easier and safer to have to deal
with too much height than with not enough.

I've got to confess, (and I truly mean no offence when I say this) from
where I'm standing, the suggestion of teaching a student to always make
"thermalling turns" to the right and "pattern turns" to the left seemed
on the surface to be such a ridiculous idea that I had to read it a few
times to be certain it was intended at a serious suggestion and not some
sort of silly joke. On reflection and deeper consideration, the
suggestion really hasn't gained any more credibility

--
Bill Gribble

| http://www.cotswoldgliding.co.uk |
| http://www.scapegoatsanon.demon.co.uk |