Old December 3rd 05, 01:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Helicopter Question

Class is uncontrolled, no clearances are available. You can
depart an airport that is in Class G and begin an IFR when
you enter controlled airspace...a clearance will read
something like "...enter controlled airspace heading 240
degrees..."
In the "old days" it was easy to describe, special VFR was
only available in what was called a control zone, which was
the controlled airspace around an airport from the ground up
to 14,500. Now, SVFR is, in theory, available in any
airspace except Class A and such Class B as are listed in
Appendix D, but it is still tied to an airport based lateral
boundary. You can't fly a cross-country under SVFR unless
the two airports are "touching" their designated airspace.

The purpose of SVFR is to get VFR only aircraft (pilots) in
and out of airports when the local weather is good enough
for basic VFR once you get to the Class G or from the Class
G to the airport.

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

"Larry Dighera" wrote in message
| On Fri, 2 Dec 2005 17:11:37 -0800, "Peter Duniho"
| wrote in
| ::
|

| So, just as one can obtain an IFR approach clearance for
an uncontrolled
| airport, one can obtain a Special VFR clearance for an
uncontrolled airport,
| and for the same reasons.
|
| That's not quite how I understand it. Isn't a Special VFR
clearance