Old November 11th 10, 09:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult

Default Future Club Training Gliders

On Nov 11, 7:59*pm, (Alan) wrote:
In article Bruce Hoult
And the DG is also expensive. *I am not certain about the service
life of any of these, but if they are 3000 hours to scrap, then the
current $102,500 price (74300 Euro posted by unclhank on 10/21/10)
$34.17 per hour just for the capital of the glider, not counting
maintenance, insurance, taxes, storage.

That's about 10k EUR more than when we were looking, but that was
2006. If the relativity has remained the same then I'd guess the
DG1000s Club would be about $80k EUR now.

* If you can run them longer, the cost goes down, but the hourly cost
of operation is still high.

We put about 250 hours on each of our DG1000's in a year. At that rate
3000 hours would be 12 years.

As it happens, before the DG1000's we had two 1978ish Grob Twin Astirs
for about 12 years, buying them in 1995 and selling in 2007-2008. We
paid around 30k EUR for them (17 years old), put about the same number
of hours per year on them, and then sold them for around 25k EUR.

The clubs we sold them to apparently don't think they are ready to
throw away.

Our DG rep told us 12,000 hours expected service life for the DG1000s.
That doesn't seem unreasonable.

That brings the per hour cost down to about $9 per hour.

* Show the potential student the ask-12 or the dg-1000, and show him
the cost of operation, along with an old glider that doesn't have the
high hourly operating costs, and a lot will figure that saving a bunch
of money is good - it can mean more flying time in the less impresive
glider.

Older gliders cost less per hour for capital, but tend to cost more
per hour fomr maintenance.

I'll also note that when I was flying Blaniks I thought 30 minutes was
a pretty good flight unless it was really booming, which it seldom is
here. In the DG1000 I can stay up as long as I want on a lot more days
throughout the year. That saves a huge amount on tows.