Old May 10th 10, 03:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ryanglover1969[_2_]

Default Glider pilot and ME 163 Komet Pilot Rudy Opitz Has Died

On May 10, 6:53*am, "Paul Remde" wrote:
Sad news,

I just learned from avweb.com that glider pilot and ME 163 rocket test pilot
Rudy Opitz has died. *He was a remarkable man.

He also flew a Horton flying wing glider to victory in a U.S. soaring
contest many years ago. *I had the pleasure of meeting him after a talk he
gave at an SSA Convention many (15?) years ago.

He was also a part of the team of glider pilots that flew the very
successful attack on the Fort Eban-Emael castle during WW II. *I believe it
was the first time gliders were used for a military attack. *He describes
the attack in the interesting "Silent Wings" video:http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/videos.htm#SilentWings.

He certainly lived a full and interesting life!

http://www.avweb.com/eletter/archive...ll.html#202518

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/ctp...=paul-rudolf-o....

A life well lived Rudy!

Paul Remde

Sad news indeed. I used to own a K-6CR that Rudy imported into this
country in 1967. Sweet flying glider. And, the man that signed me off
for my glider rating was himself signed off by Rudy Opitz. Well,
that's the extent of my 6 degrees of separation from a real legend and
a true pioneer of aviation.