Old July 10th 04, 08:46 PM
Grasshopper

Default Learned more today - what to buy?

Flew today, as did my wife. The owner of the school was also very helpful.
My mistake was looking for a specific plane, instead of methodically
deciding what my requirements were. Also, some of the kids said they did
not want to fly with us on weekends, which lowered the requirements a bit.

New requirements:

1) Human total can be as low as 4 or 5 seats. Human weight is 850 lbs.
2) Luggage is 200 lbs.
3) We would like to be able to go about 600 nm; which should get us to
Grand Cayman, Bahamas, and most of the southeastern USA.
4) If we burn about 15 gph, then I suppose we need about 75 gallons
capacity, for a total of 450 lbs.
5) Adding up humans, luggage, and fuel; I come up with about 1,500 lbs.
6) We want the cost of an aircraft loan to be about $800/month. Tiedown
is $100/month and hangar is $300/month at our local airport.

We prefer if the wing is a high wing like the Cessna; for ease of entry.
The Cessna 182 was wide enough, but the 172 was a bit cramped in the width.

Any thoughts on good aircraft choices would be *GREATLY* appreciated.

--
Ah, Young Grasshopper.