Old April 2nd 21, 03:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
GeneReinecke

Default new SSA web site

On Thursday, April 1, 2021 at 7:02:47 PM UTC-6, noel.wade wrote:
On Thursday, April 1, 2021 at 5:48:43 PM UTC-7, GeneReinecke wrote:
Wow. Are we all being overly cranky as an April Fool's day joke? Give the low-paid IT people a few days to get it right! This is not a Covid vaccine reservation site, an investment app or even OLC! Lighten up guys, give it a couple of days and everything will be all right!
Sheesh.

No Gene, its not about being overly cranky. I am an IT person, and I *have* been very lowly paid and/or a volunteer (hell, my day job is running IT for a non-profit right now).

There was no reason for the new site to be rolled out like this, NONE. All of the things they're working on could have been tested in-private and tuned/fixed, while the main website continued to exist and function just fine..

But the issue goes MUCH deeper than just how bumpy the rollout is. The organization of the new site bespeaks a lack of careful consideration of features and functionality, or of proper project management. It reeks of scope-creep, and of being driven by art/aesthetics instead of functionality, and of non-technical people in charge not knowing how to vet the technical workers or manage them effectively.

--Noel

Noel:
I think a number of us on this forum have done a good bit of volunteer work or low paid work for one of our hobbies or something we are passionate about. It is painful to watch others jump in and criticize from the sidelines. For example, One (non soaring) club I am a member of has over 100 members-only about 15 are active volunteers yet we get a surprising amount of critique from the other 85! Forgive me if I am not aware of your efforts to help the SSA but perhaps they could use your expertise, without the side potshots?
See you at cloudbase
Gene