Old November 7th 03, 07:29 PM
John T

"'Vejita' S. Cousin" wrote in message

1) File flight plan (can you do this from a cell phone, NOTAM seems to
imply linelines only)

Yes, you need to file an "ADIZ flight plan". Behind the scenes, this is
entered into the system as an IFR flight plan with "DCA ADIZ" in the remarks
section and a VFR altitude in the altitude block.

2) Get squak code/clearance on ground PRIOR to takeoff

Yes, usually done via the clearance delivery frequency, but landline is an
option. Remember that there is no need for a "clearance". Call up
clearance delivery to "activate my ADIZ flight plan", get your squawk code
and departure frequency.

3) Open flight plan (or can you do that when you contact ATC for the
squak code).

This is effectively done when you get your squawk code. The one key
ingredient you didn't explicitly mention in your post is the requirement to
maintain two-way comms with ATC after takeoff.

4) Follow flight plan (how much can you deviate)

You're VFR. ATC will generally treat you as VFR. If you decide to circle a
friend's house (and your friend happens *not* to be a member of the National
Command Authority), be prepared to answer ATC's inquiry of "say intentions",
but this is rarely a problem. I recently did this on a VFR flight and ATC's
only response was "confirm departing toward MRB after maneuvers". I've also
conducted flight "training" inside the ADIZ with no special coordination.

5) Close flight plan (not done at landing by ATC automatically, can
you close with airport in site from the air or only by phone after
landing).

When you're approaching the airport of landing, inform ATC "field in sight".
They'll give you the standard "maintain squawk until on the ground,
frequency changed approved". Land safely and park the plane. That's it.

Last time I was home (pre 9-11) I would fly people over downtown
Baltimore (football and baseball studiums) and the bay bridge. That
looks like it's out, or will ATC clear you into these areas?

If traffic permits and there's not a game in progress, that may be
available - certainly the Bay Bridge.

ATC have worked hard to make VFR flight in the ADIZ as painless as possible.
Just don't do anything boneheaded (like fly over the stadium during a game
or make a beeline for the Washington Monument) and you should be fine. The
process is really simple:

1. File an exit/entry ADIZ plan with FSS. If you're planning on departing
FME for a pleasure flight outside the ADIZ, be sure to file a separate ADIZ
plan for re-entry or land outside the ADIZ to file one.

2. Contact ATC prior to departure to receive squawk code and frequency.
This is "activating" or "opening" your flight plan, *not* receiving a
clearance.

3. Contact ATC after departure. All you need to hear from ATC is "N123,
roger". No need for "radar contact". No need for "cleared into ADIZ".
Just two-way communications.

4. Upon exiting the ADIZ, ATC should come back with "N123, you're outside
the ADIZ, squawk VFR, frequency change approved." If you *know* you're 3-5
miles outside the ADIZ and haven't heard this, go ahead and squawk VFR. The
code you're given by Potomac TRACON is likely a local code only and, as
such, will not be valid outside their airspace.

5. ATC may provide VFR flight following. Many controllers seem to
"volunteer" the service since you're on their frequency, anyway. If you're
planning on flightseeing inside the ADIZ, just be prepared to inform ATC of
your intentions.

6. Enjoy the flight! We need more pilots refusing to be intimidated by this
airspace while the alphabet soups of associations continue working to remove
the restrictions. Just stay away from the FRZ and follow these simple
rules.

--
John T
http://tknowlogy.com/tknoFlyer