Old August 8th 09, 08:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval
Ken S. Tucker

Default Angle of Attack Indicators

On Aug 8, 2:11 am, Dave in Sandy Eggo wrote:
"Ken S. Tucker" wrote in news:56e7269b-a30f-467b-
:

In my experience, some guys like dials (like clock hands) others
like digital, that was a hassle when Volt-Ohm meters went digital,
lots of arguments. Personally I like both. The meter provides a
sense of rate of change, but the digital provides precison at a
glance, so I think the 'AoA' indicator ought to be designed to
reflect those concerns and conditions.

Slightly OT.

I'm a retired cal tech. Regarding the meter thing, all that "precision"
wasn't really worth a rat's ass, since the accuracy of many digital VOMs
wasn't any better (usually in the 2% - 4% FS area) than the d'Arsonval
movement units they replaced. I still use my 25 yo Simpson 260 more than I do
my Fluke 77.

Dave in Sandy Eggo
AT1 USN Ret

Ah, nostagia.
http://www.simpson260.com/260-1/simpson_260-1.htm

I had to use 3-4 digit accuracy for tuning scientific/precision
instruments,
setting bias etc, so the only way to go was digital. Now I measure
batteries
to 4 digits, habit I guess.
For analog volt measure I usually use Scope channel two set for DC, to
get
a sense of any ripple, meters are to slow, that way a scope is just
like a
fast vertical bar display.
Ken