Old August 20th 20, 04:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AS

Default Another E glider concept

On Wednesday, August 19, 2020 at 11:58:03 AM UTC-4, Soartech wrote:
If you are looking for controllable drag you simply need a center pull cord at the apex of the drag chute.
Cord pulled = little drag
Cord slack = full drag

There were several Eastern European or Russian gliders with retractable drogue chutes. There was a line attached to the apex which could be hauled in or let out to retract the chute into the tail boom. I have no idea how that was done (hand cranked winch?) and how reliable that system was. It didn't stand the test of time, I guess, otherwise we would all have them.

Uli
'AS'