Old March 3rd 07, 03:32 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Grumpy AuContraire[_2_]

Default Minsk & Kara with the tanker Boris Butoma - WesternPacific Nov'82

Dave Kearton wrote:

Just got this from Gordon,

Dude, you are giving me flashbacks! A couple of these are from missions I
was on - not kidding

The SH-2F isn't winching in sonar, he's shooting a roto-chute'd SSQ-41
sonobuoy. Sorta looks like they are bringing up the MAD bird, but its on
the wrong side of the fuselage. Trust me, its an outbound buoy.

The Kresta II shot could be one of ours - the Novoro had several escorts,
including that one. Marshal Somebodyorotherovitch. The cargo netting was
used to anchor their tiedowns. Its a Hormone-A (the B had a much rounder
radome). As were for ASW; Bs were for OTH-T /midcourse guidance for
missileers.

The unident Kara alongside Boris Butoma is Tashkent, that bitch that shot in
my general direction twice. We overflew this trio dozens of times as they
trekked across from Madagascar to the Mallaccan Straits. There, we turned
them over to PI-based P-3s, but this could well be one of our photos.
Certainly its no different than dozens that we took.

thanks for sharing!

yf Gordon

I remember the Rotochute work at Kaman back in the late 1950's/1960's.
An interesting concept that actually was used.

JT