Old August 16th 08, 03:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Bob Kuykendall

Default Mini Lathes

Thoughts? What creative uses can a homebuilder and
handyman find for a little lathe like this?

My personal opinion is that anything smaller than 9x20 is too often
too small to be worth the bother. And even 9x20 is small enough that
it too often takes heroics to wrap it around a reasonably-sized piece
of work.

Virtually all of the Chinese 9x20s sold by Enco, Grizzly, Harbor
Freight, etc. have a headstock bore of just under 7/8", which is
maddening when you want to turn a long piece of 7/8" or 1" stock.

That said, that little machine has saved my butt too many times for me
to count, and these days I don't know how I'd get along without it.
I've made all sorts of ball bearing carriers, pins, bushings, sockets,
etc. And I can't count the number of times I've chucked up something
or other and just took off a few thou to true it up or make it move
more smoothly.

Right now I'm contemplating getting the next size up, sonething like a
12x36...

Thanks, Bob K.