Old August 16th 08, 03:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Stuart & Kathryn Fields

Default Mini Lathes

wrote in message
On Aug 15, 6:06 pm, "Kyle Boatright" wrote:

Thoughts? What creative uses can a homebuilder and handyman find for a
little lathe like this?

I sized all of the parts for my propeller hub and coaxial dynamo mount
to be fabricated on a 'baby lathe.' (ie, having a 3" swing)

The fact is, until you've had a lathe to work with you really won't
appreciate how useful it can be.

-R.S.Hoover

Yes I had a small Select lathe that did 98% of the latheing that I needed in
the construction of my helicopter and a myriad of other things that needed
turning that I found around the house. BUT I found the need for a larger
thru hole in the chuck. My downfall!! I now have a 16"x40" Victor lathe
and the cost of the tooling almost exceeded the cost of the lathe. Oh did I
mention the 3phase requirement? Yea verily, if you can get by without a
lathe by taking your work to someone who has one and is already in the
addicted condition, you are ahead. BTW I'm not a machinist and probably
couldn't qualify for an aprrenticeship, but I now can't live without my
lathe and its digital readout.

Stu