Old June 10th 16, 06:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
David Kinsell[_2_]

Default GPS Interference Testing

On Fri, 10 Jun 2016 10:01:13 -0700, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:

Wild hypothetical, what if GPS gaming is going on durning a contest and
some or all contestants lose part of the logging of points on course?
Years ago I was denied a Diamond distance/goal because of about four
minutes where the Cambridge logger didn't log. I returned and flew that
segment of the flight but was still denied. It was obvious that I could
not have landed and taken off again.

Also, does the GPS jamming affect 406 ELT's? What about planes on IFR
plans solely using GPS for navigation?

You know that Embraer jet they keep mentioning in the notams? Apparently
a real problem:

http://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/m...11_EMB-300.pdf

Who would have thought loss of GPS would cause flight control problems?
Losing points in some glider competition is way down on the list when it
comes to things to worry about. How about when the whole air traffic
control system becomes reliant on ADS-B and GPS gets jammed, either by
the military or maybe even some bad guys?