Old June 11th 16, 02:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
David Kinsell[_2_]

Default GPS Interference Testing

On Fri, 10 Jun 2016 20:27:51 -0700, tom wrote:

These notams have been coming out for years, but maybe the testing is
finally starting to affect aircraft at a great distance from the source.

Here's an interesting article about GPS testing:
https://fas.org/spp/military/program/nav/gpsjam.pdf

I also recall seeing a thread about truck drivers using GPS jammers to
thwart being tracked ant these could affect aircraft nearby.

5Z

Right, GPS jamming has been going on for years, but it seems to be
getting worse. Yuma Proving Grounds is an Army facility, China Lake is
Navy, Area 51 I suppose is mainly Air Force.

On top of that, the notams are whacky, still showing one for Denver from
the Yuma facility, max radius is listed as 219 nm and yet they're about
700 sm apart. Badly need graphical representations of these things.

-Dave