Old September 8th 18, 04:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Gibbons[_2_]

Default Too many accidents

I recall looking at the undercarriage but did not say "Wheel down according to placard"

For what is worth;

38 years flying retractable gear sailplanes.

In addition to the usual landing check list attached to the gear side
of my Ventus.

I put a small patch of red plastic tape at the "retracted" end of the
gear travel slot, and a small patch of green tape at the "down &
locked" end of the slot.

Final check on turning final is always a quick glance to assure the
lever is at the GREEN end of the travel.

Bob

On Fri, 7 Sep 2018 16:05:47 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

I have been flying since 1980, had one heavy landing a number of years ago, when ASI failed in X country flight. 3000 hours in total solo.
I did however purchase a ASH 31 Mi and despite very good training from the agent in Australia.
Very early on in the flying of this glider I had a flight, both engine problems, refusal to start, and LX screen failing.
I switched to flying glider mode but still managed to land wheels up.
After considerable thought i now figure out the problem.
When stressed we go into fight of flight mode. Blood goes to the legs and leaves the brain. We thus go stupid. I recall looking at the undercarriage but did not say "Wheel down according to placard"
How many good pilots have you seen make stupid errors.
Perhaps you have hit the nail on the head, Older, over confident pilots in very complex aircraft