Old September 21st 07, 01:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Newps

Default What's gonna happen to CAP?

Robert M. Gary wrote:

In CAP we always have sat triangulation information before we launch.
I assume that the initial report was also sat. In this context I'm not
sure what you mean by a "national organization". Pilots in CAP rarely
are searching more than a couple hundred miles from their home. CAP
planes are located in local GA airports, we don't launch from any
central location.

We are locally run and organized, local being statewide. No silly rules
that I've seen
CAP have. The state is divided up into sectors. Each sector has a
designated boss who gets
the call that a plane is missing. He can be in the air in less than an
hour. Satellite
info not needed/necessary before planes are flying. Other aircraft
brought in as desired/necessary. One problem I have seen with CAP
pilots is they are much less experienced than the guys that do the SAR
here. We get the Wyoming CAP guys up here a couple times a month and
the way they talk on the radio does not inspire confidence. Our guys
flying SAR have multi thousands of hours flying GA airplanes all over
the state and they know the terrain like the back of their hand.